The Japanese Society of Cultural Anthropology (JASCA) invites anthropologists from around the world to our 50th Anniversary Conference to be held jointly with IUAES Inter-Congress 2014.
The conference aims to attract well over 1000 international and domestic delegates to Chiba City in Greater Tokyo. The theme will be The Future with/of Anthropologies. The language of the conference will be English. Read the conference theme, see who will be giving the keynotes, and browse the list of accepted panels and papers.
The conference itself will take place from 15th to 18th May 2014, at the International Conference Hall of Makuhari Messe, Chiba City. Please note that on the 14th of May, there will be a drinks reception and the registration desk will be open for a few hours in the evening. For further information of the IUAES2014 general timetable, please have a look here.
- Registration is now open. Early-bird pricing will end on 31st March. All wishing to be included in the programme should register by then. The panel timetable will be placed online shortly.
- The call for papers is now closed. Those with accepted panels/papers may download letters of acceptance from the login environment - see information on the right.
- Applications for funding support are now invited - see panel on the right.
- We have also posted accommodation information so you can begin to make your reservations.
- Add the conference calendar (the calls, registration, etc) to your own calendar.
A Special Anniversary Exhibit will be held in cooperation with the National Museum of Ethnology (Minpaku) and the National Art Center (Shinbijutsukan), from 19 Feb - 9 June, 2014, at the National Art Center, Tokyo.
Theme: Power of Images
Exhibit: Collection of the National Museum of Ethnology
Free admission tickets will be distributed to all delegates at the reception desk.
- the National Museum of Ethnology
- Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO)
- WCAA (World Council of Anthropological Associations)
- AAA (American Anthropological Association)
- ABA（Brazilian Association of Anthropology - Associaçõ Brasileira de Antropologia）
- AJJ (Anthropology of Japan in Japan)
- ANPOCS (Brazilian Association of Graduate and Research Centers in the Social Sciences - Associação Nacional de Pós-Graduação e Pesquisa em Ciências Sociais)
- EAAA (East Asian Anthropological Association)
- EASA (European Association of Social Anthropologists)
- IAA (Indian Anthropological Association)
- JAWS (Japan Anthropology Workshop)
- KOSCA (Korean Society of Cultural Anthropology)
- SEAA (Society for East Asian Anthropology)
- TSAE (The Taiwan Society of Anthropology and Ethnology)
- ASN (The Anthropological Society of Nippon)
- FSJ (the Folklore Society of Japan)
- JSPA (Japan Society of Physiological Anthropology)
- PSJ (Primate Society of Japan)
- MEXT: Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
- MOFA: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
- SCJ: Science Council of Japan
- Chiba Prefecture; Chiba City
- CCB: Chiba Convention Bureau
- Chiba Prefecture and Chiba City
- The Shibusawa Foundation for Ethnological Research
- The Wenner-Gren Foundation
- The Resona Foundation for Asia and Oceania
- The Murata Science Foundation
We appreciate all the generous donations we received for our anniversary event.
Japanese Society of Cultural Anthropology 50th Anniversary Event Organising Committee
Read the list of colleagues involved in organising this event.
Conference administrators and email address
NomadIT on conference(at)iuaes.org