Home - Scientific Commissions
Council of Commissions
Head, Council of Commissions:
Deputy Head, Council of Commissions:
Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, China
List of the Commissions
|Aging and the Aged||Co-Chairs & Regional Co-ordinators:|
Leng Leng Thang (Asia) [lengthang[at]nus.edu.sg]
Jonathan Skinner (Europe) [jonathan.skinner[at]roehampton.ac.uk]
Deputy Co-chair & Regional Co-ordinators:
Philip Kao (N America) [philip.y.kao[at]gmail.com]
Bianca Brijnath (Australia & NZ) [bianca.brijnath[at]monash.edu]
Philip Stafford [staffor[at]indiana.edu]
Jay Sokolovsky [jsoko[at]earthlink.net]
Maria Cattell [mgcattell[at]aol.com]
|Anthropology and Education||Chair:|
David Shankland [admin[at]therai.org.uk]
|Anthropology and the Environment||Chair:|
Heather Oleary [olear079[at]umn.edu]
Thomas Reuter [thor2525[at]gmail.com]
|Anthropology in Policy and Practice||Interim Chair:|
Soumendra Patnaik [smp_du[at]yahoo.com]
|Anthropology of HIV & Aids||Interim and organizers of election:|
Frants Staugaard [frants.staugard[at]telia.com]
David Pitt [pittdelacure[at]bluewin.ch]
Giulia Zoccatelli [g_zoccatelli[at]soas.ac.uk]
|Anthropology of Children, Youth and Childhood||Chair:|
Deepak Kumar Behera [behera.dk[at]gmail.com]
Spyros Spyrou [S.Spyrou[at]euc.ac.cy]
|Anthropology of Food and Nutrition||Chair:|
Helen Macbeth [hmacbeth[at]brookes.ac.uk]
Isabel Gonzalez Turmo
Frederic Duhart [frederic.duhart[at]wanadoo.fr]
|Anthropology of Mathematics||Dissolved|
|Anthropology of the Middle East||Chair:|
Soheila Shahshahni [soheilairan[at]gmail.com]
Marzieh Kaivanara [m.kaivanara[at]gmail.com]
|Anthropology of Tourism||Chair:|
Noel B. Salazar [Noel.Salazar[at]soc.kuleuven.be]
Yujie Zhu [yjzhu2013[at]gmail.com]
Mari Korpela [mari.korpela[at]uta.fi]
|Anthropology of Women||Chair:|
Wu Ga [wugamoyass[at]gmail.com]
Maria Kaczmarek (EUROPE) [makac[at]amu.edu.pl]
Cheryl Rodriguez (USA) [crodriguez[at]ibl.usf.edu]
|Anthropology, Peace and Human Rights||Chair:|
Robert A. Rubinstein [rar[at]syr.edu]
Paul N. Nkwi [nkwi70[at]yahoo.com]
Zhang Jijiao [zhjijiao[at]126.com]
Tomoko Hamada Connolly [thamad[at]wm.edu]
Keiko Yamaki [yamaki[at]shujitsu.ac.jp]
E. Liza Cerroni-Long [liza.cerroni-long[at]emich.edu]
|Global Transformations and Marxian Anthropology||Chair:|
Winnie Lem [wlem[at]trentu.ca]
George Baca [baca.george[at]gmail.com]
Buddhadeb Chaudhuri [buddhadebc[at]gmail.com]
Victoria Chenaut [vchenaut[at]prodigy.net.mx]
|Indigenous Knowledge and Sustainable Development||Joint Chairs:|
Dorothy Billings [dorothy.billings[at]wichita.edu]
Viacheslav Rudnev [roudnev[at]mail.ru]
|Intangible Cultural Heritage||Chair:|
Cristina Amescua Chávez [cristina.amescua[at]correo.crim.unam.mx]
Kaori Fukushi [alasarum[at]yahoo.com]
Maarten Bavinck [J.M.Bavinck[at]uva.nl]
Giselle Corradi [Giselle.Corradi[at]UGent.be]
Anita Sujoldzic [anita.sujoldzic[at]inantro.hr]
|Medical Anthropology and Epidemiology||Chair:|
Pavao Rudan [rudan[at]hazu.hr]
Saša Missoni [ured[at]inantro.hr] [sasa.missoni[at]inantro.hr]
Morana Jarec [morana.jarec[at]inantro.hr]
Anand Singh [singhan[at]ukzn.ac.za]
Juan Bustamante [jjbustam[at]uark.edu]
|Museums and Cultural Heritage||Co-Chairs:|
Kenji Yoshida [yoshidak[at]idc.minpaku.ac.jp]
M.K. Gautam [gautammohan[at]hotmail.com]
Renato Athias [renato.athias[at]ufpe.br]
Elliot Fratkin [efratkin[at]smith.edu]
Troy Sternberg [troy.sternberg[at]geog.ox.ac.uk]
Petr Skalnik [skalnik.petr[at]gmail.com]
Aleksandar Bošković [aleksandarbos[at]gmail.com]
Giuliana Prato [g.b.prato[at]kent.ac.uk]
Manos Spyridakis [maspyridakis[at]gmail.com]
Marcello Mollica [marcello.mollica[at]unifr.ch]
|Urgent Anthropological Research||Chair:|
Stephanie Wiesbauer-Hohenwart [stephanie.wiesbauer[at]wiesbauer.org]
Metje Postma [POSTMAM[at]FSW.leidenuniv.nl]
About the Commissions: Excerpts from the IUAES Statutes
Art. 5. Membership of the Union
- There are the following categories of Group/Corporate Membership in the Union:
- Scientific Commissions of the IUAES are groups of individual members OR group members of the Union who share a common academic or practical interest and have formed and maintained an active Commission according to the rules of the Union (see Article 7).
Art. 7. Scientific Commissions of the Union
- Groups of individual IUAES members may establish thematic Scientific Commissions, whose activities must be consistent with the general aims and objectives of the Union (the total number of commissions is limited only by a need to preclude major overlap - see Article 7.c). Such Scientific Commissions are established to carry out academic and other activities in specific subfields of anthropology or on specific topics deemed worthy of anthropological enquiry. Activities of commissions include the organisation of publications, symposia, conferences, conference panels, and panels at IUAES congresses.
- Proposals for the establishment of Scientific Commissions shall be directed to the Secretary-General and must be supported by at least ten paid up members (individual or group members) of the Union. The Secretary-General will transmit applications to the Executive Committee for preliminary approval by a two-thirds majority vote, and to the next meeting of the General Assembly for full approval, again by a two-thirds majority vote.
- The theme of a new Commission should not duplicate the theme of an existing Commission.
- All Executive Committee decisions with respect to the establishment, termination and other major aspects of Commission activities shall be subject to ratification by the General Assembly.
- Each Commission, once established, will be a member of the IUAES for as long as it continues to demonstrate that it is functional, by contributing a panel to an IUAES World Congress or Inter-Congress, or to another major conference (so long as the panel is designated as IUAES sponsored), at least once in every three consecutive years. In cases where a Commission fails to do that, it is automatically deemed inactive and its status as an IUAES Commission is lost.
- Each Commission is responsible for maintaining a list of members and for electing one chair and one deputy chair for a term of five years (renewable for one such term) in a democratic fashion, by simple majority vote of the members of that Commission, and with all members eligible to self-nominate for election to these offices.
- Further terms and procedures concerning the operation of the Commissions shall be indicated in the By-laws of the Union.
Art. 8. Governance of the Union
Governance of the IUAES shall be through the following bodies, the purpose of which at all times shall be to realise and occasionally to review the aims, purpose and objectives of the Union.
- General Assembly
- All proposals to be considered by the General Assembly should be supported by at least two thirds of the Executive, by ten individual members of the Union, by two group/corporate members, or by the Head of the Council of Commissions (Article 8b) acting on behalf of two thirds of the Council. Such proposals must be submitted to the Secretary General at least twenty one days before any meeting of the General Assembly and circulated electronically to all members of the General Assembly at least fourteen days before that meeting.
- Council of Commissions
- The Scientific Commissions are at the core of the academic activities of the Union. The Council of Commissions (hereafter 'the Council') is a forum for discussion and coordination of these activities and all issues arising therefrom. The Council constitutes an advisory body with representation on the Executive Committee of the Union, and the head of the Council shall, through the Secretary General, also be entitled to make proposals directly to the General Assembly (that is: the head of Council will not have to obtain support from ten individual members or two group/corporate members).
- The Council of Commissions comprises the chairs and deputy chairs of all recognised and current IUAES Scientific Commissions, all of whom must be paid-up or honorary individual members of the Union.
- The Council will elect a Head and Deputy Head at a meeting of the Council, chaired for purposes of that election by the incumbent Secretary General, immediately prior to the meeting of the General Assembly at each World Congress. Election of the Head and Deputy Head will be by simple majority vote of members of the Council, but with the proviso that only one nomination may be made by each Commission and those elected should come from different world geographical regions.
- The quorum for the Council's elective meeting is half or more of its current members, but members who are absent may be included in the quorum count if they submit their vote or proxy in writing to the Secretary General prior to the meeting, and it is expected that they will do so. If a quorum is not reached at the physical meeting despite these provisions, the Secretary General will arrange an internet web-based electronic vote.
- All Council members can be nominated or can self-nominate for election as Council Head or Deputy Head, and their nominations must be submitted to the incumbent Head of the Council and the Secretary General at least seven days before the election date.
- The Head and Deputy Head's terms of office will be the period between World Congresses and each may be elected for one further consecutive term of office.
- The Head of the Council shall, through the Secretary General, be entitled to make proposals on behalf of the Council directly to the General Assembly
- The Head and Deputy Head of the Council of Commissions shall, immediately after being elected, become full voting members of the Executive Committee of the Union for the duration of their term as Head or Deputy Head, and can make representations to the General Assembly, verbally at its meetings or electronically at any time.
- Day-to-day interactions within the Council of Commissions can be conducted with the help of an email list and/or a list-server, which is to be kept up-to-date by the Secretary General, or through a similar medium of communication.
- Guided by the Secretary General, the Head of the Council Commissions shall be responsible for monitoring the activities of Commissions, including obtaining and making available to all members of the Union, in Newsletters and/or the Union's website, annual reports on those activities. In instances where a Commission is proven to have become inactive to the point of being defunct, the Council shall recommend to the Executive Committee its removal from the list of Union-approved Commissions. A decision to terminate such removal must have two-thirds majority support in the Executive Committee.
Art. 9. Composition of the Executive Committee
- The President of the IUAES
- A delegate appointed by the President from within the Executive Committee may also represent the Union. In extremis, the president can designate an alternate from the Council of Commissions, to fulfill her or his representation duties.
- The President shall not vote within the Council of Commissions or the General Assembly other than in cases where there is a need for a casting vote.
- Two Council of Commissions Representatives The elected Head and Deputy Head of the Council of Commissions represent the Council on the Executive Committee (see Article 8b), have responsibility for facilitating the work of all IUAES Commissions under the leadership of the Secretary General, and for keeping the Executive Committee informed of the activities and any concerns of the Commissions.